Thursday, February 03, 2005

Talkin' bout my generation

Chris Suellentrop has a nice précis of the president's Social Secuirty initiative which he characterizes as an invitation to Boomers to "Screw Your Grandchildren."

I will only point out that there is a substantial group of Boomers younger than 55: Those of us born in the 50's and the first couple of years of the 60's.

Always at the tail end of the population bomb, we have been pretty well screwed from Day One.

I started elementary school with 55 kids in my classroom. It wasn't education so much as crowd control. By the time I left college in my biology degree was essentially decorative, but the loans still had to be paid back. (Scientific American once estimated that the 1977 was the graduating year with the worst prospects for scientists/academics.)

In the intervening years I have turned over big chunks of my meager salaries to FICA (Now self-employed, I pay double social security and my tax rate is higher than Dick Cheney's). Still, it does my heart good to think of all the greens fees I have contributed to retired physicians and captains of industry.

I guess The Who knew what they were talking about when they sang, "Hope I die before I get old."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home